The first Leadville Cemetery and the present Lake County High School football field occupy the same general location at the western end of Chestnut Street. The Cemetery's perimeters extend past the point where the Rio Grand railroad crews laid track over a number of graves, when the line came into Leadville in 1880.
Interments were accepted in the new Evergreen Cemetery beginning in November of 1879. Over the following years, several people were moved from the Leadville Cemetery to the Evergreen Cemetery and the former was known as "the old cemetery."
St. Joseph's Cemetery was opened in the mid 1800s. Several people were moved from the Catholic section of the Evergreen Cemetery to the new Catholic Cemetery.
The Leadville Cemetery was, and still is, located at the far western end of Chestnut Street, a little distance from what was then the Leadville smelting company's works. It consisted of an acre plot of ground, unfenced, and with the earth thrown up into mounds. Many of these heaps were marked by pieces of boards, slabs and sticks. Two or three had marble slabs and as many more were marked by pine boards painted to imitate marble. Cattle ran over the graves nightly, causing the Sexton much extra labor and annoyance. The Rio Grande railroad crews laid track over a number of graves when they brought the train into Leadville in 1880. That same year, residents of the neighborhood complained loudly about the aroma which emanated from the sunken graves. "In short, there was nothing about the Leadville Cemetery to make a well man want to die.
The following listing has been compiled from two newspaper articles and data contained in the Evergreen Cemetery Register. It is incomplete, of course, and possibly inaccurate in some instances. It is, however, the only compilation of information on the original Leadville Cemetery.
Original Leadville Cemetery -- 1877-1879 (listed in alphabetical order by last name)
"Leadville City Cemetery" by Nancy Manly, reprinted from the "Mountain Digging," No. 15.
The land for the Evergreen Cemetery was purchased by the Evergreen Cemetery Association in 1879. A news item in the local paper announced. "Those contemplating an early journey to the next world can purchase a stopping place in the Evergreen Cemetery today November 10th, 1879
"The Evergreen Cemetery" written by Nancy Manly, reprinted from the Mountain Diggings, Vol. 1, No. 7.
Who's Where in Leadville's Evergreen Cemetery - Contains abbreviations, sample page, key map and thirteen sectional maps.
|Some of the Evergreen Cemetery records now have a picture of the gravestone attached. Just Click on a name that has a blue box around it.|
|Evergreen Cemetery (A-G) -- 1879-1981 (listed in alphabetical order by last name A-G)|
|Evergreen Cemetery (H-O) -- 1879-1981 (listed in alphabetical order by last name H-O)|
Evergreen Cemetery (P-Z) -- 1879-1981 (listed in alphabetical order by last name P-Z)
|Who's Where in Leadville's Catholic Cemeteries - Contains abbreviations, sample page, key map,maps of St. Joseph's, Holy Cross, Granite, and Twin Lakes Cemeteries.|
|Catholic Cemetery -- 1888-1981(listed in alphabetical order by last name) Includes a listing|
|Includes a listing for the Granite and Twin Lakes cemeteries at the end of the Catholic cemetery list.|